As has been the case for most of our travels, we start walking around a city in France and we find a synagogue. And this one in Rheims was quite a jewel. Consecrated in 1879, the synagogue served Jews from Alsace and Lorraine who had moved west as a result of the German Annexation.
We were fortunate to be at the synagogue at the right moment - a group of people were meeting inside, and David asked if we could take a peek at the sanctuary. The synagogue is still in use and serves a community of about 200 families.
And a Jewish colonel in the U.S. Army intervened to return the synagogue to the Rheims Jewish community after the liberation of Rheims in August of 1944.